Crispy Mumz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... for the borderline crunchy!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sahel578
Regular
Regular
Sahel578

Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist Empty
PostSubject: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist EmptyMon May 11, 2009 11:16 pm

I was trolling through craigslist and found an ad that read (and I'm paraphrasing):

"wanted, sympathetic people to donate $3000 to me for infertility drugs. "

The ad was removed, but what do you think about such a thing?
Back to top Go down
snowboardnmom
Regular
Regular
snowboardnmom

PostSubject: Re: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist EmptyTue May 12, 2009 5:36 am

well, my immediate thought is that somebody is trying to take advantage of somebody else, by using infertility as an excuse for needing a large sum of cash... who knows what they really want the money for! AND if it really is for infertility drugs, that person must be extremely desperate!
Back to top Go down
http://designbaby.net
Nina
Admin
Admin
Nina

PostSubject: Re: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist EmptyTue May 12, 2009 11:42 am

Interesting.
I can understand someone desperately wanting a child but not being able to afford infertility treatment. I can't imagine many people wanting to help that person out- most people think there's enough kids in the world. Someone might say if she can't afford infertility treatment she can't afford a kid. That is a valid argument, $3000? That's not that hard to save up. She could probably save that up in less than a year, then get to it! I think that's what I would propose to that lady. I'd give her financial advice so that she can save up her money and buy it herself. Or her husband... does she have a husband? Maybe she wants to be another Octomom? lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.ProsperWithWellness.com
Sahel578
Regular
Regular
Sahel578

PostSubject: Re: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist EmptyTue May 12, 2009 11:44 am

Nina, I'm with you... I think its not that much money to save up in a year. She and her husband could get second jobs, sell some excess crap.. all that.

What if it had been for adoption expenses instead?
Back to top Go down
Nina
Admin
Admin
Nina

PostSubject: Re: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist EmptyTue May 12, 2009 2:22 pm

I think my view stays the same, save up the money, BUT I will say in a way I wish it were easier to adopt. I am by no means rich, and I admit- I could not afford to adopt, but when my kids are older- I am very confident I could do an excellent job raising a child and I would LOVE to adopt in the future. It's just the financial aspect that would prevent me.
Back to top Go down
snowboardnmom
Regular
Regular
snowboardnmom

PostSubject: Re: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist EmptyTue May 12, 2009 8:23 pm

Nina wrote:
I think my view stays the same, save up the money, BUT I will say in a way I wish it were easier to adopt. I am by no means rich, and I admit- I could not afford to adopt, but when my kids are older- I am very confident I could do an excellent job raising a child and I would LOVE to adopt in the future. It's just the financial aspect that would prevent me.

I agree about the financial aspect. Why is it so expensive to adopt & yet so cheap to procreate?
Back to top Go down
Nina
Admin
Admin
Nina

PostSubject: Re: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist EmptyTue May 12, 2009 8:59 pm

^^^ and not just that- but then you have the people who foster kids ONLY for the check every month! I know not all foster parents are that way- but there are some who dont' care at all about the well being of the child- just give them the basic necessities and collect your check every month!
Not to talk badly of my foster mum when I was a teenager, but she was this way. We got the basic necessities and were pretty much on our own to do w/e we wanted- be in bed by 9 weekdays and 11 on weekends and you're all set. She'd have as many as 7 of us living there- she made her money, was never interested in our lives and helping us get anywhere in life. Unlike another home I went to later on- this woman was fantastic! She would sit down with all the foster kids and do homework there, showed a true interest in their life and helping them succeed. (I was transferred to another place unfortunately) Need more foster people like her.

Maybe in the future that's what I'll try.. but it'd surely break my heart to get attached to a kid and have to let go, especially if I didn't feel they were being put into a good home.
Back to top Go down
snowboardnmom
Regular
Regular
snowboardnmom

PostSubject: Re: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist EmptyWed May 13, 2009 10:04 pm

Nina wrote:
^^^ and not just that- but then you have the people who foster kids ONLY for the check every month! I know not all foster parents are that way- but there are some who dont' care at all about the well being of the child- just give them the basic necessities and collect your check every month!
Not to talk badly of my foster mum when I was a teenager, but she was this way. We got the basic necessities and were pretty much on our own to do w/e we wanted- be in bed by 9 weekdays and 11 on weekends and you're all set. She'd have as many as 7 of us living there- she made her money, was never interested in our lives and helping us get anywhere in life. Unlike another home I went to later on- this woman was fantastic! She would sit down with all the foster kids and do homework there, showed a true interest in their life and helping them succeed. (I was transferred to another place unfortunately) Need more foster people like her.

Maybe in the future that's what I'll try.. but it'd surely break my heart to get attached to a kid and have to let go, especially if I didn't feel they were being put into a good home.

For some reason I've never known you were in foster care as a child, Nina. If you don't want to talk about, no worries, but if you don't mind me asking, what happened with your parents?

That totally sucks that you had to get attached to an awesome foster mom, only to have to move on to somebody else. Are you in touch with her at all? I don't think I could foster, because like you, i'd want to adopt too badly!
Back to top Go down
Nina
Admin
Admin
Nina

PostSubject: Re: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist EmptyWed May 13, 2009 10:30 pm

^^Well it wasn't a big deal.
It was only from age 15-17 and I spent almost all of age 16 in Job Corps.
Basically I missed a lot of school due to really bad anxiety (that I had since grade school off and on)- but since at the time childhood anxiety wasn't something people were aware of, they thought my parents just didn't know how to control me, so I was put in a foster home. Lame. But it was better than being put in a juvenile detention for 6 months (my probation officer mentioned that might happen if I didn't go to a foster home). The system is lame, but I am hoping that these days people are more willing to HELP kids out, rather than just "punish" them. I wasn't skipping school to hang out with friends- I stayed home and laid in bed. Not exactly a rebellious kid. Of course when I went to the foster home and had a whole new set of friends- well then I did become the "rebellious" teenager lol. But it's all water under the bridge.
Back to top Go down
Sahel578
Regular
Regular
Sahel578

PostSubject: Re: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist EmptyThu May 14, 2009 12:45 am

I was reading that terrible news article about that woman from NY that was adopting all these handicapped kids for the check and seriously abusing them. Awful.

My husband and I are looking into foreign adoption, well.. from China. (DH is chinese) I had read that in the states, the first time adoption fees are roughly $10K, then the second child is doubled. Is that true?
Back to top Go down
Nina
Admin
Admin
Nina

PostSubject: Re: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist EmptyThu May 14, 2009 10:19 am

Oh wow, I don't know... doubled for the second kid? That's a lot.
Foreign adoption sounds great though- if I ever decide to adopt, that'd probably be the route I take.
Back to top Go down
ChewyMama
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist EmptyThu May 14, 2009 3:28 pm

I'm probably in the minority here, but I wouldn't even blink at that posting. I don't agree with fertility treatments - at all. I'm not going to attack someone for using them. Nor will I try to make laws that outlaw them. I'm just saying, whenever I here about them being used, my eye figuratively twitches.
Back to top Go down
Sahel578
Regular
Regular
Sahel578

PostSubject: Re: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist EmptyThu May 14, 2009 3:54 pm

My biggest issue with the posting was that it was on craigslist.... the same site you can buy hookers and used tvs on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist   Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist Empty

Back to top Go down

Infertility Financial Assistance on Craigslist
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Crispy Mumz :: Debate :: Debate-
Jump to: