Crispy Mumz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... for the borderline crunchy!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fairy Tales?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sahel578
Regular
Regular
Sahel578

Fairy Tales? Empty
PostSubject: Fairy Tales?   Fairy Tales? EmptySat May 16, 2009 12:31 am

I was at the bookstore the other day, distracted by the collections of fairy tales. And I started wondering if I would tell my kids the Disney version or the European versions that I had grown up with.

On one hand, the Disney versions are clean cut, not too scary. The ones that my Austrian grandmother shared with me were sometimes terrifying. The german version of the Little Mermaid that I read when I was 8, Ariel commits suicide in the end. In Cinderella, the stepsisters cut their toes off.

It seems like an easy choice, why would I want to scare the crap out of my kids, right? But then, when I was exposed to the Disney versions (when I was about 9) I liked the scary german ones better. (Except for the Little Mermaid... omg, I was soooo relieved)

Anyone have any opinions/thoughts?
Back to top Go down
ChewyMama
Admin
Admin

Fairy Tales? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Tales?   Fairy Tales? EmptySat May 16, 2009 7:15 am

I have the same concerns. I'm still not sure what to do. A few years ago I picked up a collection of Grimm's fairy tales just to have in the house in case
Back to top Go down
snowboardnmom
Regular
Regular
snowboardnmom

Fairy Tales? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Tales?   Fairy Tales? EmptySun May 17, 2009 8:46 am

....and I thought my kids are terrified of the disney movies! I couldn't imagine them hearing those versions! Then again, my kids are 4 and 2... but still. suicide? toes being cut off? I don't think that's really necessary to tell kids..
Back to top Go down
http://designbaby.net
Sponsored content

Fairy Tales? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Tales?   Fairy Tales? Empty

Back to top Go down

Fairy Tales?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Crispy Mumz :: General :: General-
Jump to: