Crispy Mumz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... for the borderline crunchy!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nina
Admin
Admin
Nina

Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! Empty
PostSubject: Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!   Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! EmptyWed May 06, 2009 1:43 pm

Check your local listings and check it out- should be interesting!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/show_page/198
Back to top Go down
http://www.ProsperWithWellness.com
Sahel578
Regular
Regular
Sahel578

PostSubject: Re: Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!   Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! EmptyWed May 06, 2009 2:15 pm

Not to stir up anything, and I completely respect a mother's decision to vax or not. First, my religion does not allow me NOT to vax. Second, growing up overseas, I've been given every jab there is with no ill effects (half the time from my veterinarian father, haha) . That's just my personal stance on it and I firmly believe its a personal decision for any mother.

But those moms that do the delayed vax, can you tell me a little more about it and why one would do it? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Nina
Admin
Admin
Nina

PostSubject: Re: Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!   Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! EmptyWed May 06, 2009 2:26 pm

Hey Sahel Smile
It definitely is a personal decision and I honestly don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" answer. It's very complicated.
There is lots of research on both sides of the debate.
When I had my girls- I didn't even think twice about it- I just followed along with the vaccine schedule. By the time I was pregnant with my 4th kid is when I started doing research- yeah scary stuff. Scary on both sides- I am afraid of the diseases that vaccines protect against, but I'm also afraid of some of the things that is in vaccines. Animal by-products, aluminum, formaldehyde, etc. Here is an ingredient list from the CDC website http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf

Now others will argue- well all that is just a drop in the bucket and doesn't affect the baby/child. It comes down to what you're comfortable with. I honestly can't say "I vaccinated my kids and they're fine." Because my 9 year old has learning problems, my 7 year old has selective mutism (though that is generally genetic), and my 6 year old didn't talk till she was 3 and is in speech therapy (but doing really awesome this last year- yay!).
I also can't say "Well I've had all my vaccines and I turned out fine." Cause though I was, and I am generally fine (other than my anxiety issues), the vaccine schedule back when I was a kid consisted of 10 shots vs. the 36 or so shots kids are expected to receive with today's schedule.

So yeah- one can go back and forth all day long lol.

I suggest to people The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears- he does support the current vaccine schedule but talks about parents concerns and lists a couple alternative schedules for parents that are interested. I'm still on the fence, my 3 year old hasn't received a vax since he was 4 months old and my 5 month old hasn't received any at all yet. I really don't know what I'm comfortable with yet.

I wish sometimes I could go back to the days of not thinking twice, just vax my kids and go on with life- that is the socially acceptable answer.
Back to top Go down
summeraire
summeraire

PostSubject: Re: Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!   Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! EmptyWed May 06, 2009 2:34 pm

i know i am debating wether to watch it or not! i am just not sure i want to but the previews sound interesting!
Back to top Go down
Sahel578
Regular
Regular
Sahel578

PostSubject: Re: Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!   Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! EmptyWed May 06, 2009 2:34 pm

I so understand not knowing what is in the vax. There just appears to be no oversite. There was a medical clinic here in Houston a few years ago, giving out "flu shots". You know what they were injecting into people (and mostly senior citizens!) freaking DISTILLED WATER!

I grew up in South Africa, so I've seen a lot of what can happen without vaccines and like I said, dad was a vet. But even I think there might just be a few too many jabs given here. I think I might pass on giving my kids the chicken pox vax. Of course, there is literally a world of difference between the health systems of Africa and the US (and I've also seen how western pharm companies test their products unscrupulously overseas. Depo provera, for one)
Back to top Go down
Nina
Admin
Admin
Nina

PostSubject: Re: Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!   Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! EmptyWed May 06, 2009 2:46 pm

You know with the "green movement" and all these major corporations putting out "greener" products- you would think the pharmaceutical companies would start researching and developing "green" vaccines. I heard of a Green Vaccine Movement a year ago, but now can't find anything! It's like they all disappeared! lol
But yeah, that would be a nice compromise- I know they can't take ALL the nasty chemicals out or it will expire in an hour lol, but there has to be a better way.
Back to top Go down
Sahel578
Regular
Regular
Sahel578

PostSubject: Re: Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!   Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! EmptyWed May 06, 2009 2:53 pm

Sadly, green just seems to have become a buzzword to sound cool and charge more money. Which is BS. But pharm companies are just that, companies... beholden to their stockholders rather than the conscience most times.
Back to top Go down
Nina
Admin
Admin
Nina

PostSubject: Re: Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!   Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! EmptyWed May 06, 2009 2:57 pm

lol yup- I share those same sentiments. Sad.
Back to top Go down
ChewyMama
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!   Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! EmptyWed May 06, 2009 5:18 pm

Quote :
I think I might pass on giving my kids the chicken pox vax.

I think I'm going to do this, too. I'm not vax-ing her for anything I didn't have. I think everybody should get chicken pox and deal with it naturally, for obvious reasons. But I'm all for the standard MMR and things she's likely to actually die from.
Back to top Go down
Sahel578
Regular
Regular
Sahel578

PostSubject: Re: Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!   Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! EmptyWed May 06, 2009 9:20 pm

i remember having chicken pox when I was 5. I didnt know that I was sick, I thought I was being punished, not allowed to go outside because I didnt know how to tie my shoes. So I spent all day practicing, figured it out, went and told my parents, "see ya, I'm going to play"

they didnt let me go play. : (
Back to top Go down
ChewyMama
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!   Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! EmptyWed May 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Quote :
i remember having chicken pox when I was 5. I didnt know that I was sick, I thought I was being punished, not allowed to go outside because I didnt know how to tie my shoes. So I spent all day practicing, figured it out, went and told my parents, "see ya, I'm going to play"

they didnt let me go play. : (

Haha! Awww.

I got mine when I was 4. It was summer. I spent a few days wrapped up in a blanket and bathing every night with Aveeno, so I didn't scratch. They told me what it was, but I didn't understand it, of course. I do remember wanting to scratch my skin off, and I was wrapped up tight like a mummy. I drank juice and watched cartoons all day. I don't want to deprive my daughter of that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nina
Admin
Admin
Nina

PostSubject: Re: Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!   Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! EmptyThu May 07, 2009 9:08 am

LOL Yes Chicken Pox was a good time.. I was in 2nd grade... knew that what I had was called chicken pox, but wasn't sure what else that meant beyond staying home from school and watching TV. I remember it not even itching.. I did take baths at night, but really it was so mild.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!   Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s  Today! Empty

Back to top Go down

Vaccine Debate on The Dr.'s Today!
Page 1 of 1