Crispy Mumz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... for the borderline crunchy!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Going vegan..

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nina
Admin
Admin
Nina

Going vegan.. Empty
PostSubject: Going vegan..   Going vegan.. EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 5:54 pm

After 5 months of going veggie.. we've decided to take the plunge to veganism! We're finishing off anything in the house that still contains dairy, but not buying any dairy-containing items... or honey, or sugar that uses animal bone to bleach it, or whatever else (vegan rules are tricky).
We've already had a few purely vegan meals- it's been fun!

Tonight we are cooking with seitan! I'm excited!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ProsperWithWellness.com
ChewyMama
Admin
Admin

Going vegan.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going vegan..   Going vegan.. EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 10:41 am

Good luck with that. It sounds like a lot of work (and money). I wonder why the most horrible foods are the cheapest and the healthiest ares so expensive. The local-run grocery stores around here are disgusting, but the poverty level is so high. These people wouldn't know what to do with a Whole Foods.
Back to top Go down
Nina
Admin
Admin
Nina

Going vegan.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going vegan..   Going vegan.. EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

It is extremely unfortunate that healthy foods cost more, it's really sad.
So far, I don't notice our food bill being any more since going veggie. Meat prices are rising more and more every year- so cutting that out and replacing it with meat substitutes has kind of balanced out. Now going vegan, we are cutting more things out, but the replacements I find to be either cheaper, or just a bit more, but not a huge difference.
I was really shocked shopping in Whole Foods that the prices weren't astronomical like I imagined.
It is more work to build a meal, rather than buy something and heat it in the oven, but it can be fun too. It's forcing me to get more creative with our meals too- and really making sure I pull from all the basic food groups. We've always eaten generally healthy anyways- now it's just going up a notch LOL It's amazing what someone can do with a bag of rice, some veggies and spices. I think education is important when it comes to healthy eating. Before I ever learned to cook- all I did was buy those meals in a box or frozen meals. I was clueless! And our meals were probably not the most nutritious. Since meeting Ian, he's taught me how to cook- and now we can grab a few staple items from the pantry and whip up an amazing dinner!
I should add more detail in my blogs about the vegan meals we've whipped up, like prices and exact ingredients, not just a generalization and a picture. Maybe I'll start a food blog to keep track of that stuff. I'm just too lazy to sit here and write every detail out, but I can see how it would be some beneficial information. Stuff I would've liked to know before going into this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ProsperWithWellness.com
Sponsored content

Going vegan.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going vegan..   Going vegan.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Going vegan..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Crispy Mumz :: Food :: Special Diet-
Jump to: