Crispy Mumz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... for the borderline crunchy!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fertility Treatments: Good or Bad?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ChewyMama
Admin
Admin

Fertility Treatments: Good or Bad? Empty
PostSubject: Fertility Treatments: Good or Bad?   Fertility Treatments: Good or Bad? EmptyThu May 14, 2009 3:39 pm

I had always wanted children. When I was 19, I was having serious man issues, and doubted I would ever find anyone to settle down with. School was great, though, and my career looked pretty promising. I told myself that if I were interfile, I would take it as an opportunity - instead of a crushing blow to my femininity - carving out a different path in life. I was tired of worrying about wasting my child-bearing years on useless relationships. My OB checked me out and told me I was fine. Obviously, today I still am. Even at 19, though, I was willing to stand up and accept what was meant for me instead of trying to force nature's hand.

I'm a bit bothered by this overwhelming desire people have to overrule the natural order. It's natural for there to be a certain percentage of the population that cannot procreate. It's how nature works, and it's a subtle way of making sure whatever defective genes that individual has aren't passed down. It's harsh, but it's true. This is what keeps our forests and oceans from being overrun with certain kinds of wildlife. Imagine if we just decided to start breeding sharks at our own will. The marine ecosystem would crash. It's the same concept for humans. Resources are strained enough for the people we already have on this Earth (look at the populations of Asia, Southeast Asia, and most of Africa), to turn to science under those circumstances is a slap in the face of nature, I think. We're not recycling because it's cool and fun. We may not have an option in a few more generations.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Sahel578
Regular
Regular
Sahel578

PostSubject: Re: Fertility Treatments: Good or Bad?   Fertility Treatments: Good or Bad? EmptyThu May 14, 2009 4:04 pm

I actually also thought that I was infertile (right up until I found myself knocked up in February). It didnt bother me, I had always planned on adopting. In fact, I kind of preferred adopting an older child. Potty trained, sleeps through the night, no ripping of the who-ha...sounded like a win-win to me.

We have friends that couldnt have kids, they raved about how they just LOVED children. But they refused to adopt, saying that they "couldnt raise someone else's kid." I thought that was a little effed up. I mean, if you really love kids, really want kids... so many need homes. I have a classmate that just adopted FOUR kids at once (siblings).

But just because I have never had an overwhelming need or desire to have children, I realize that there are plenty of women that would not feel complete otherwise. And for every octomon/jon+kate dramz, there are stories like one I read at the docs office. This lady had fertility treatment, created 6 fertilized eggs. Carried one, had a baby girl, then donated the other 5 to 3 different families.

It seems a little unfair that you can have families like the Duggars that keep, literally, popping them out naturally... when some woman just wants to have one of her own.
Back to top Go down
ChewyMama
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fertility Treatments: Good or Bad?   Fertility Treatments: Good or Bad? EmptyThu May 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Quote :

It seems a little unfair that you can have families like the Duggars that keep, literally, popping them out naturally... when some woman just wants to have one of her own.

True. And I do sympathize with them, but where do we draw the line with what's fair/unfair? Everybody who lost their jobs recently can't panhandle. That would upset the cityscape as well as tie up traffic, and cause a lot of conflict: "Why should I give you my hard earned money?"
Back to top Go down
Nina
Admin
Admin
Nina

PostSubject: Re: Fertility Treatments: Good or Bad?   Fertility Treatments: Good or Bad? EmptyThu May 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Hmm... I'm not sure what to say on this... I totally understand and see both sides.
I kinda feel I can't take a stance on this issue- cause I have 5 kids that I've had no problem, so I guess it'd be unfair for me to say to someone "You can't have kids, so you aren't meant to have kids."
BUT- I also feel, that I think that if I were infertile, I would happily adopt a kid rather than do fertility treatment. But I don't know for sure, I've never been in that situation.
Hmm.... yeah, I don't know what to say.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ProsperWithWellness.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fertility Treatments: Good or Bad?   Fertility Treatments: Good or Bad? Empty

Back to top Go down

Fertility Treatments: Good or Bad?
Page 1 of 1